Smoked & Braised Asian-Style Loin Back Ribs
- 2 Slabs Back Ribs, membrane removed
- Dry Rub (recipe below)
- Braising Liquid (recipe below)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 Tbsp. diced green onions, for garnish
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup honey
- 10 Tbsp. cola
- 6 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 5 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 8 tsp. hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
- Build charcoal and/or wood fire for indirect cooking by situating coals on only 1 side of grill, leaving other side empty. Preheat grill to 250°F.
- Combine Dry Rub ingredients and apply onto fronts and backs of ribs. Gently pat to ensure that rub adheres.
- Cut 4 pieces of 12-inch heavy-duty aluminum foil 24 inches long. Create 2 pieces by doubling foil. Lay each slab of ribs on top of doubled foil. Twist edges of foil to create 2 boats, form-fitting to each slab of ribs. Leave top of foil open.
- Combine Braising Liquid ingredients and pour half over each slab of ribs. Put foil boats with ribs over indirect heat, away from coals, close lid, and cook until ribs are tender, about 3 hours, 15 minutes.
- Remove ribs from foil boat, transfer them to cutting board, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour Braising Liquid from boats into medium saucepan. Place over medium-high heat, and reduce liquid by half, about 10 minutes.
- Slice ribs between bones, and plate for serving on bed of rice. Pour reduced sauce over ribs, garnish with green onions, and serve.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.