- ¼ cup olive oil
- 12 Smithfield™ Breakfast Patties
- 1 large red onion, ¼” dice
- 1 large red pepper, ¼” dice
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin, toasted
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 28-oz can San Marzano tomatoes,crushed
- 4 oz piquillo peppers, ¼” dice
Herb & Cheese Garnish:
- 4 free-range eggs 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices ciabatta bread
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 Tbsp labneh
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- Add oil to small rondeau; when hot, sear breakfast patties on all sides. Remove patties, and reserve.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and pinch of salt to rondeau; sauté over medium heat until tender.
- Add spices, harissa paste and tomato paste, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and piquillo peppers, bring to simmer, and season with salt.
- Turn to low heat, add breakfast patties, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- Divide Shakshuka equally into 4 6-inch cast iron pans.
- Warm over medium heat until simmering.
- Make a hole in middle of each, crack egg inside, and season with salt.
- Place in preheated oven at 450ºF for 3-5 minutes until egg white is cooked. (The egg yolk should remain runny.)
- Brush ciabatta with oil, and grill on both sides.
- Remove shakshuka from oven, and top with feta cheese, labneh and herbs. Serve with grilled ciabatta bread.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.