Pork Ropa Vieja-Plantain Tostones
Ropa Vieja Sauce
- 2 ½ lbs Fully Cooked Pork Shoulder, shredded
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small diced jalapeno without seeds
- 1 pinch cumin, oregano, allspice, salt
- ½ cup sliced pimento stuffed green olives, divided
Pickled Red Onion
- 1 red onion, julienned
- 2 cups rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 green plantains, peeled and quartered
- 1 gallon peanut oil (or other frying oil)
- granulated garlic to taste
- salt to taste
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup minced garlic
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
Product:Roasted & Seared Pork Shoulder
Meal Course:Dinner, Lunch
- For Pork Ropa Vieja Sauce, add all ingredients into sauce pot except olives. Simmer until vegetables are soft and sauce is thick. If sauce becomes too thick, thin with unsalted chicken stock.
- Add shredded pork shoulder until mixture is thoroughly incorporated and pork is slightly moist.
- Incorporate half the olives to the mixture.
- For pickled red onion, dissolve sugar into hot vinegar on stove top in a pot.
- Pour over top of red onions and let sit for 2 hours.
- Heat oil to 325°F. Fry plantains until there is a crust formed on the outside but soft on the inside. Remove and flatten into coin size chips; fry again until crunchy and golden brown. Season with salt and garlic.
- Place each tostone onto plate and top with Pork Vieja. Garnish with chopped cilantro, diced tomato, pickled red onion, remaining olives, and aioli or salsa.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.