Chinese, Red Cooked Pork Belly Appetizer
- 2 lb. Skin-On Pork Belly, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 1 ¼ cups dry sherry, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup peanut or canola oil
- 5 star anise
- 4 to 6 dried red chiles (arbol or Korean chiles)
- 3 (1-inch) pieces fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- Sliced green onion tops
- Crystallized ginger
- Bring water and 1 cup sherry to a boil over medium-high heat in large saucepan. Add pork cubes; boil 5 minutes.
- Place sugar and peanut oil in wok. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar caramelizes and turns golden brown color. Stir in pork cubes and remaining 1/4 cup sherry.
- Add enough water to cover pork in wok. Stir in star anise, chiles, ginger, cinnamon and Chinese 5-spice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Add additional water if too much evaporates.
- Increase heat to a boil; cook until liquid reaches desired thickness. Stir in soy sauce. Season to taste with salt and additional sugar.
- Serve 2 to 3 pieces on plate with rice timbale and sauce. Garnish with green onions and crystallized ginger.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.