Beer-Steamed Littleneck Clams with Crispy Ham, White Beans & Kale
- 3 dozen littleneck clams, thoroughly cleaned of all sand and grit
- ½ lb. Ham, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, washed, stemmed, and cut into thick strips
- 1 15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ baguette, cut into four pieces, and toasted right before serving the dish
- 1 can or bottle beer, whatever kind you like
- ½ cup small diced Spanish onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the Ham, scattering it evenly; cooked until browned, turning occasionally. When the ham is brown and crispy, transfer to a paper towel-covered tray or plate to drain off excess fat. In the same skillet, sweat the onions and garlic until fully cooked and set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot, bring the beer to a boil; add the washed clams, reduce heat to medium and cover. Leave covered for about four minutes, then add the kale, white beans, ham, onions and garlic and stir.
- Recover the pot and continue steaming for 1-2 minutes. The clams should be fully opened, the kale should be wilted, and the beans should be heated through.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the clams and portion out evenly into four bowls, 9 clams per person. Return the pot to high heat and bring back to a boil quickly; reduce heat to medium. Swirl in the cold butter, emulsifying completely- the sauce should thicken slightly, but shouldn’t break.
- Pour the sauce evenly into each bowl, along with the ham, beans and kale. Put a piece of toast on top of each serving.
To order, contact your Smithfield Culinary sales representative, call 888-326-7526 or contact us for more information.